We know in Latin America culturally, there are a lot of high positive emotions. Just like there are a couple of tall mountains, lots of loud music on the streets and many, many hours of sun. But we’ve also found some interesting facts about Ecuador. Facts that for sure make the country unique, and perhaps also very happy.
- Well done – Ecuador has been voted as the best country for expats for the second year running. Quality of life, cost of living and personal finances have all been cited as excellent reasons to up sticks and head to the equator.
- Space mountain – The summit of Mount Chimborazo, Ecuador’s highest mountain, is the point on Earth closest to the sun. Due to the mountain’s location along the equatorial bulge, its summit is the farthest point from the Earth’s core. This also means that Ecuador is the closest country to space.
- Nature rights – In 2008, Ecuador declared that nature has constitutional rights, making it the first to do so. This means that they do not treat it as property but recognize its “right to exist, persist, maintain and regenerate its vital cycles.”
- Banana baby – Ecuador is the largest exporter of bananas in the world! Almost 30% of all.
- Fly away – Despite only being about the same size as the UK, Ecuador hosts 15% of the world’s known bird species.
- Getting high – Quito has the highest elevation for any constitutional capital city, 2850m above sea level.
- Score! – Ecuador outperforms most countries with similar levels of GDP on all components of the Happy Planet Index. They are ranked number 10.